#Happy420: How to tell if your co-worker is high- 20 Apr
It’s 4/20 so there’s lots more talk about as well as use of marijuana
Marijuana can inhibit or slow down function within the work place. One of the reasons why most work places have a zero-tolerance drug policy.
A drug-free work environment has helped employers see a decrease in workplace accidents, employee mistakes, absenteeism, employee turnover, and in their workers’ compensation claims. Other benefits include improved workplace environment, employee morale and customer satisfaction.
So how can you tell if your co-worker or employee is disobeying this policy?
Here are 7 signs of marijuana use:
- Loss of train of thought during conversation: Trying to hold a normal conversation with an individual who is high on marijuana can be a challenge. While intoxicated, the individual will lack the ability to stay focused on the topic of the conversation, and may drift into other, unrelated subject matters.
- Increased appetite: One of the effects of marijuana use is binge eating. After smoking pot, the individual will want to gorge himself on large amounts of junk food and sweets.
- Lack of energy or loss of motivation: Marijuana causes a distinct lack of motivation in the user. Look for a loss of interest in activities that were once a prominent part of the individual’s life. Also, the marijuana user may sleep excessively until late in the day. Bad sleep habits are another common sign of marijuana use.
- Possession of drug/marijuana paraphernalia: Look for materials such as bongs, rolling papers, roach clips, pipes or other items used to smoke or store marijuana.
- Inappropriate laughter: When an individual is intoxicated from smoking marijuana they will sometimes laugh uncontrollably, even at highly inappropriate moments.
- Legal or financial problems: Two concerns with drug users in general is a constant need for money and brushes with the law. Both are warning signs of marijuana use as well, as the individual spends money to finance the drug habit. Engagement with law enforcement is also a potential warning sign, as the individual will likely be transporting the illegal substance from place to place.
- Paranoia: One of the most serious consequences of marijuana use is paranoia. Watch for behavior that includes suspicious thoughts and feelings that “everyone is out to get” the individual in question.
These signs were listed by Michael’s House as possible signs of marijuana usage.
None of these signs however can tell you 100% if someone is using marijuana. The only way to really know is through a drug test. And that’s where we come in.
Check out our links above to see our special comprehensive background checking packages. Or call us at 801-987-9485.
We want to help keep your workplace environment running safely, efficiently and drug-free just as bad as you do.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.